Friday, May 26, 2006

Colonial Vipers Attack tonight @ Uptown Bar

Colonial Vipers Attack

Let's explore more local talent today. I'm actually happy to finally post on these guys as I saw them for their CD release party March 11th @ Turf Club. Regular life got in the way and I never got around to cover them... this should make up for it, hopefully.

Colonial Vipers Attack are a 5-piece (including former members of Divorcee, Faux Jean, The Spring Collection, and The Melismatics) from Minneapolis, and yes, they got their name from Battlestar Galactica. That's cool all in itself already. Even cooler, though, they write and perform great music.

You know my blog is named after an Oasis tune, right? Well, these guys remind me a lot of my favorite boys from Manchester. They had (and probably still have) that same really loud (and I mean "really loud") wall-of-sound @ Turf Club a few months ago (I'm a total sucker for that). Great interview with Chris Pavlich, lead singer of the band on Pulse.

I'm not really all that good at describing what bands sound like. To me, they sound destinctively British, especially Oasis and Noel Gallagher, and throw in a bit of the Verve. Highly recommended, here are a couple of mp3s:

mp3: Colonial Vipers Attack - Beatiful Fall
mp3: Colonial Vipers Attack - Unnoticed

They're a blogger/internet friendly band. Therefore more tunes available for download and/or sampling both on their website and MySpace. Most importantly, they're playing this Friday, 5/26/06 @ The Uptown Bar. Here's the poster:

Colonial Vipers Attack @ Uptown Bar 5/26/06

I'll see you @ the gig! Make sure you purchase their excellent self-titled debut at the show.

Have a great Memorial Day Weekend!

To help you celebrate, here's some new hip-hop mixtape action for you. Enjoy:

mp3: DJ Green Lantern feat. Dead Prez, Saigon, Immortal Technique & Just Blaze - Impeach The President

mp3: Papoose - Alphabetical Slaughter

- Steve

P.S. I know by now you've heard plenty about Lily Allen (MySpace)... However, make sure you download her "My First Mixtape" (Warning: 70MB). It's great and really unclassifiable... (via Stereogum)

P.P.S. Vanilla Ice is still around and playing here this Saturday. Seriously.

No comments: