Monday, May 22, 2006

Wrap-up: Islands / Frog Eyes / Sunset Rubdown live @ First Avenue 5/16/06

Islands live @ First Avenue 5/16/06

So last week kind of just flew by... I did a pretty poor job wrapping up the loose ends on this gig.

Last Tuesday (as mentioned in this post) I headed out to watch Sunset Rubdown, Frog Eyes, and Islands live @ First Avenue. I was actually quite pissed off as it turned out I missed Sunset Rubdown (due to me mowing the lawn earlier). Damn! Well, I'm over it by now. I watched Frog Eyes, who I highly disliked, even though Spencer Krug (from Sunset Rubdown and Wolf Parade) played with them on keyboards for this gig. Montreal's Islands were quite impressive live... They had approx. 7 band members on the stage all dressed in white... kinda cult-Polyphonic Spree like, actually. I had never heard their music before and I wound up really liking it. After the gig Brody and I talked with Spencer Krug for a while... very cool and talented guy to say the least. Photos from the night are on Flickr. I also filmed one of my infamous low-fi videos of Islands performing, which is on YouTube.

mp3: Sunset Rubdown - Stadiums and Shrines II
mp3: Islands - Rough Gem

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Islands record is decent. Not the masterpiece I was expecting, but that's my fault for trusting Pitchfork! What's interesting is that (if I'm not mistaken) each member of The Arcade Fire contributes to every song with their instruments and general (lovely) mayhem. It’s certainly a shame that I missed Frog Eyes, though!

Anonymous said...

Correction...I sincerely wished I hadn’t missed Sunset Rubdown. Although, Frog Eyes are interesting in a similar way. That is all!

Steve said...

Darren,

Thanks for the comment. Didn't know the Arcade Fire part. Very cool.

I actually like the Islands record quite a bit. Had no expectations, though (didn't read the Pitchfork review)...

Don't worry, you'll be able to catch Wolf Parade again this fall (pretty similar to Sunset Rubdown obvs).

- Steve