Thursday, August 31, 2006

RnR Star Summer Mix 2006



First of all I'd like to thank my band-mates DJ Adidas1 and EngineerFred for their excellent summer mixes. Great stuff! Tough acts to follow...

I've zipped both of their mixes for you to download:

DJ Adidas1: Summer 2K6: It’s All Worldbeat To Me.zip
More info on the mix here.

EngineerFred: Look! A Shiny Thing!.zip
More info on the mix here.

I had a huge write-up ala Pitchfork prepared for my mix, but then totally changed my mind and decided to go "minimalist" with it. You know what I like by now, right? Well, here are the tunes that were rockin' my summer in 2 CD form. A couple of notes on the mixtapes:
  • All these artists I either saw live this year or they released (or will release) an album in the US in 2006. Trust me, some of these albums I've had for a long time (Cribs, Art Brut, etc).
  • Obviously most of these tunes have been posted all over the blogosphere. A lot of them I've even posted before. Then again, so what? I really wanted to give you my "honest" mix.
  • It was extremely difficult to narrow this mix down to 2 CDs.
  • I'm sure you'll find at least 2 songs on the mix you'll really love, and at least 2 which you'll really hate.
  • Every mix tape needs something funny on it. Again, I think you can see I've included a couple of these.
  • My favorite 2 tunes I could listen to over-and-over: 1) The Arctic Monkeys, and 2) Silversun Pickups.
  • By far the dirtiest song on the mix: "Bump" by Spank Rock.... It really takes off about 1 minute into the tune. It's definitely rated "NC17" kids! A+ song, though.
  • [ Insert you favorite "Art Brut... Top of the Pops" comment here ]
  • Birdmonster (a blogger favorite) rocks.
  • What "rocked" your summer? Let me know... if you've got a mix online leave a comment. I'd love to check it out and I'll amend this post with a link to your mix. Seriously.
  • I don't have pictures of Tom and Katie's baby, sorry.
  • I've got 2 local bands on this mix. They're both pretty obvious. I wanted to include more... sorry. Yes, I'm talking to you, White Light Riot.
  • As I'm typing this, I already want to change at least 2 tunes.
  • I've been "Lost In Boston" before...
  • Skateboarding is not a crime.
  • My second choice for the name of this mix: "Fuck, I hate mowing my lawn mix 2006".
  • Turn the songs up. The mix is best enjoyed at high volume.
  • And yeah... Jack White is a genius.



RnR Star Summer Mix 2006 CD 1
download full CD 1 as .zip

01: Youth Group - Forever Young
02: Art Brut - Formed A Band
03: Hot Chip - Boy From School
04: Phoenix - Long Distance Call
05: Ghostface Killah - Shakey Dog
06: The Alarmists - She Will Love Again (Hey Kid)
07: Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Cheated Hearts
08: The Walkmen - Lost In Boston
09: Sia - Breathe Me (Ulrich Schnauss Remix)
10: Silversun Pickups - Lazy Eye
11: Razorlight - America
12: Towers Of London - Fuck It Up
13: Regina Spektor - On The Radio
14: Birdmonster - 'Cause You Can
15: Husky Rescue - Summertime Cowboy
16: The Cribs - The Wrong Way To Be
17: Cansei De Ser Sexy - Let's Make Love And Listen To Death From Above
18: Radiohead - Everything In Its Right Place (Josh Wink Remix)

RnR Star Summer Mix 2006 CD 2
download full CD 2 as .zip

01: Sound Team: Movie Monster
02: Gnarls Barkley - Crazy
03: Prototypes - Danse Sur La Merde
04: Lupe Fiasco - Kick Push
05: Lily Allen - Smile
06: The Knife - Heartbeats (Rex The Dog Remix)
07: The Raconteurs - Steady, As She Goes
08: Ladytron - Destroy Everything You Touch
09: Band Of Horses - The Funeral
10: The Strokes - Heart In A Cage
11: We Are Scientists - Can't Lose
12: Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars
13: Primal Scream - Country Girl
14: Pet Shop Boys feat. Elton John - In Private (Stuart Crichton Club Mix)
15: The Rakes - 22 Grand Job
16: Spank Rock - Bump
17: Dirty Pretty Things - Deadwood
18: Tapes 'n Tapes - Jakov's Suite
19: Arctic Monkeys - A Certain Romance

As always, if you like the artists, please support them: Buy the CDs and go to the shows. I do. Thanks for reading my blog.

Note: I have one more very personal and emotional post coming up before I leave for Europe. I haven't done one of these in quite a while... Stay tuned.

- Steve

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

great mix, thanks!

Anonymous said...

Lazy Eye is killer!

c said...

muse rocked my summer. the raconteurs rock my world. oddly, in mixed company, i also listened to the new razorlight and keane a lot. (duck). your mix is awesome. rock star.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant!!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, thanks. This stuff is great.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the mix! you have a great air for music!

Anonymous said...

You have shown me some good music.

Anonymous said...

you have grerat taste in music!

I love over half the songs on here.

Anonymous said...

Great songs!

Visit Europe / The Netherlands again around 17 18 19 august 2007 and visit a "camping flight to lowlands" (www.lowlands.nl) you`ll love it!

Anonymous said...

Great, great tunes. I especially love The Knife and Band of Horses. The whole Horses album is astounding. Oh and the girl in that photo is a bona fide hottie!!

Jeremy said...

Agreed, fantastic mixes. So many goodies.

Anonymous said...

There are several resources for arts book. We have done the research and have selected only the best for you. Read on and you'll find exactly what you are looking for regarding arts book.

Anonymous said...

band of horses is great
heart in a cage probably my fav song ever :)